Sambhar-A South Indian recipe
Tuvar Dal : ¾ cup( Split red gram).
Vegetables : Any one of these
(Lady’s Finger, Small bulb onions, drumsticks, radish.)
Red Chillies : 4 to 5 ( as per the spiciness you desire)
Coriander seeds : 2 Tb spoon
Fenugreek seeds : 1 table spoon(( 1/2 for seasoning & 1/2 for grinding)
Coriander leaves : A little for sprinkling.
Coconut : ¾ small cup
Salt : as per taste
Mustard seeds : 1 tea spoon
Tomato : 5 small or 4 big(cut into 2 pieces)
Tamarind water : 3 Tb spoon.
Turmeric powder : ¾ tea spoon.
Lemon : ½ juice
1.First boil the tuvar dal (Split red gram) till well cooked.
2. Then cook the vegetable with Tamarind water, cut tomatoes ,turmeric powder, salt as per taste & a little water.
If it is lady’s finger, then first fry it in little oil before cooking .
3. Mix 1. & 2. & keep aside.
4. Then take a little oil in a pan & fry the red chillies, coriander seeds &
half of the fenugreek seeds till it turns pinkish in colour.
5. Then grind the above fried spices with the coconut in a mixer & add it to 3.
6. Mix it well ,If you want it a little bit more sour ,then add half of
7. Then do the seasoning; that is in a little oil put the mustard seeds
& the remaining fenugreek seeds till it crackles.
8. Add the seasoning to the sambhar prepared, & sprinkle some coriander leaves on top.
This is usually eaten with rice or with idlis& dosas(which are rice & urad dal pancakes).
(Urad dal is split white gram or lentil).
Hope you all try it out & do give me the feed back.